Sunday, February 26, 2012


Busy couple of days, trip to the salon new braids, more braids and a pedicure, Fabulous! Walk thru Nairobi Town, Matatu rides, last minute shopping, pulling together the things to carry from the the women. More bead soup, and tying kikoy's for Mama Maina. Dinner at Milka's, Ruth's sister. Yes she cooks! Even when the power goes out! Late night and not feeling well when I get home. Rough last day in Kenya. Sick all night and most of today. But I'm finally pack. And my sweet Elizabeth came to visit. A gift always, her precious smile and her success, to see what God has done. He has multiplied the 400k/s ($5US) that her husband gave her and the money she saved from her time at Rehoboth. She now has a successful vegetable stand. She was able to keep her four kids all in school even after her husband lost his job...Seeing a woman succeed priceless!!






My time here has seemed as though it was mere days.  I leave here with mixed feelings and a very heavy heart.  My favorite African proverb says that "The feet do not go where the heart has not gone first" I found my heart waiting for me when I stepped off the plane onto the red earth and here it will remain.


So as I come home to take on this task that I have been given I am reminded of a parable I read resently:

A fire broke out in the forest and all the animals ran to the edge of the forest to try and save themselves. They all looked on feeling fearful and overwhelmed. All that is except one tiny hummingbird. The hummingbird flew to the nearest river and picked up one drop of water, flew back and dropped it on the fire. The other animals watched as over and over he repeated the act. They finally asked what he was doing as he was to small to make a difference. He simply said "I'm doing the best that I can."

And so I will do the best that I can. Because at the end of the day isn't that what each of one of us is asked??

                                Quawhari ya cu onana, Kenya (Good bye for a short while)



1 comment:

  1. Indeed Kwaheri....

    It was wonderful having you in Kenya.

    Love you lots and God Bless
    MK

    ReplyDelete